Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Can I put a CPU made for a laptop into a desktop?

I want to repair a socket 754 computer and I see I can buy socket 754 mobile cpu's for extraordinarily cheap so I was thinking I'd do that.

Can I put a CPU made for a laptop into a desktop?

The big give somebody the third degree is does the motherboard in the desktop support the CPU?

If the BIOS isn't written to support the processor, consequently it won't work regardless of whether it fits the socket or not.
as long as the pin configuration is the same. next sure

i know you can do this with Intel chips.
all right, theoritically, as long as the socket is the same, it can work. but surrounded by practice you will need to know wether the bios suport the cpu or not.

my suggestion is to find a standard desktop socket 754 procesor, because ( for me at least) it's not posiible for moble cpu to be cheaper than desktop cpu (with equal performance ofcourse)


No comments:

Post a Comment